Schenklab Algae Biotechnology Services
Schenklab have significant in-house experience isolating and characterizing various algae strains. Our team routinely sample and collect environmental cultures from various locations and as such, have developed a wealth of experience cleaning up, isolating and identifying cultures of interest from mixed cultures samples contaminated with non-algal protists; other bacteria; fungi ect.
We can offer:
- Taxonomic Identification of Microalgae
- Taxonomic Identification of Macroalgae
- Culture Clean up / isolation (pure algae cultures from mixed cultures)
- Mass Culture Scale Up
Research Services Overview
The algae identification services are geared towards customer needs.
We can start with a basic microscopic analysis to get a provisional morphological ID (this is easier for the larger microalgae).
COST $175 per strain
For mixed cultures, we can conduct a basic microscopic analysis and determine relative proportions of obvious different species in the algae culture.
COST $225 per strain
A firmer identification can be obtained from 18S rRNA gene analysis, but we would typically recommend a 3-gene screen (18S rRNA; ITS and COX or 28S), this will give an ID to species level with high confidence – taxonomists prefer this level of confidence.
- COST 18s rRNA $750 per strain
- COST 18S rRNA; ITS and COX or 28S $1500 per strain
Mixed Culture Molecular Analysis
- 18S rRNA PCR;
- sequence analysis of 96 clones
- COST $2,500 per culture
- Grow cells from a culture on plate (assuming they can grow on a plate)
- Pick individual colonies
- 18S rRNA gene analysis of different colonies
- COST $500 per colony (minimum 10 colonies)
- Flow cytometry sorting of individual cultures
- Downstream 18S rRNA gene analysis of sorted cells
- Cost $3000 per culture
We can develop a diagnostic service for you based on a technique called Terminal Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism (T-RFLP). It involves some basic characterization of your strain, then we would essentially have a diagnostic test for your cultures. High set up cost (approx. $5000) then relatively cheap quantitative analysis ($500 per sample).
Culture Clean Up
Commission Schenk Lab to clean up algal cultures contaminated with non-algal protists; other algae;
bacteria; fungi (prices will vary based on time spent and materials used)
- Plating, dilution and/or antibiotic techniques charged at $175 an hour plus materials
- Flow cytometry sorting techniques starting at $800 per culture plus materials